- Do I really need this information about an individual? Do I know what I am going to use it for?
- Do the people whose information I hold know that I’ve got it, and are they likely to understand what it will be used for?
- If I’m asked to pass on personal information, would the people whose information I hold expect me to do this?
- Am I satisfied the information is being held securely, whether its on paper or on computer? And what about my website? Is it secure?
- Is access to personal information limited to those who absolutely need to know?
- Am I sure the personal information is accurate and up to date?
- Do I delete or destroy personal information as soon as I have no need for it?
- Have I trained my staff in their responsibilities under the Data Protection Act? Are they fulfilling them in practice?
- Do I need to notify the Information Commissioner? If so, is my notification up to date?
For more information and advice on good information handling go to : www.ico.gov.uk or phone 08456 306060